I loved this interpretation of how yoga helps human beings. Think of the problem statement this way, from a practical standpoint:
- How can we rid ourselves of physical pain?
- How can we rid ourselves of emotional pain?
- And lastly, we all know that anyone born has to die someday. While science is trying hard to find a cure for anti-aging, and probably something to defy death, it is a question we probably ponder sometime.
The Sivananda Companion to YOGA, has a lovely simple answer to our questions:
- Asanas (postures) take away physical body pain by lubricating joints and strengthening the organs, muscles, bones.
- Pranayama (breath control) takes away emotional pain by altering your perception of pain.
- Dhyana (Meditation) helps you conquer death by making you realize who you truly are!