I feel fortunate to facilitate a beginner yoga class in the VEDA temple in Milpitas. Apr 15th was the first Saturday for the class. We have nine more Saturdays to go.
In the next nine Saturdays that we would meet, my goal is to help the participants learn basic asanas that improve health & well being. Here attached is a slide deck of the course sequence I will follow. While I will not complete the entire sequence on day-1, I intend to complete it by the time we meet six times.
More importantly, I plan to help them understand the mind-breath-body connection. While asanas will be used extensively to work on the body, I will emphasize how to combine breathing with asanas.
Lastly, my goal is to help integrate yoga in their daily lives (yoga = ‘union’). What use is yoga if it does not integrate into each of our lives?
The temple has agreed to lower the donation from $100 to $60. Their goal is to get more people do yoga and reap the benefits in their lives. In full disclosure, I am not getting paid for this course. All donations will go to the temple.
If you are in South Bay, I encourage you to join.
If you have taken the 1-min deep breathing challenge (per my blog post earlier), I would love your feedback.
Here is a link to a short 30second survey here
Thank you in advance!
Have you taken the 1 Min Breathing Challenge?
Here is what you need to do:
For every waking hour in the day, spend a minute by breathing deeply – using your diaphragm. Look at a slide on deep breathing in this link from my earlier post.
The challenge will essentially make you more conscious of your shallow breathing style. Not just that, it will bring you a sense of centeredness, lightness in the body and in itself will help you beat daily stress.
My core group of meditation practitioners of about 44 is currently taking this challenge this week and are seeing enormous benefits.
Do you want to try?
Would love to hear your feedback!
Am pleased to announce that I am facilitating a 10 week long free yogasana classes in Milpitas Satyanarayana Swamy temple.
Here is the link,
Please scroll down to the bottom of the page in the link for my course details.
Please register for the course &
Several people asked me about the 10 day Ayurveda detox program I was following. The program was organized by http://yogabharati.org and http://yogaksemausa.com. Please contact them directly for their next program.
This blog post is to help all the folks who inquired me. I am sharing here, what EXACTLY is Ayurveda detox program regimen I followed & the results I achieved in ten days.
Today, I eased into my normal food routine starting Monday, officially marking the end of the 10 day Ayurveda detox program.
Here are the results:
- Body weight: 148lb [decreased from 152lb]
- Body fat: 16% [decreased from 16.7%]
- Muscle mass: 39.5% [increased from 39.1%]
- Waist: 1″ decrease! [no, I did not buy new belt – just drilled an extra hole in it:-)]
- Most importantly, I feel energetic, happy, mentally alert.
Here is what I did the last ten days:
- Ate 3 meals everyday at regular intervals (7am, noon, 6pm)
- Breakfast: Upma [broken wheat porridge] with ghee [clarified butter]
- Lunch & Dinner: Khichdi [mix of basmati rice + moong dal +vegetables + detox spice mix + turmeric + salt / pepper] boiled in pressure cooker and with ghee
- Ate 2 spoonfuls of ginger +honey+lemon juice with a pinch of salt before lunch (only)
- Ate two snacks in between my meals
- About 7 Soaked almonds or one /two apples or 2/3 dried prunes or handful of dry fruits /nuts.
- Drank lots of detox spice mix drink / ginger lemon tea
- Boil water with the detox mix – Ground powder of Cumin, Coriander, Fennel seeds mixed in 2:2:1 ratio
- Ginger lemon tea: Half a lemon in hot water with pepper and honey
- 2 Triphala Ayurvedic tablets in the night.
- Meditation for atleast 10-15 minutes a day
- Ample rest (sleep early)
Four key points to remember for positive results
- Reduce quantity of food at each meal – Eat ONLY as much as both your handfuls. This measure is known as one anjana in Sanskrit [Yes, I did cheat several days – I had between 1.5x to 2x times].
- No other spices or food stuff, especially processed foods or tea/coffee /soft drinks.
- Mild exercise, but surely meditation.
- Eat s…l…o….w…l…y, enjoying every bite.
My key learning: It takes enormous mental energy to stay away from food. Good news is that mind rules the body. Bringing intention into this practice helped me to get through my craving for food. Bringing attention & focus to eating the food helped me to nourish my body with lesser quantity of food than my usual.
Would love to hear your thoughts,
Let me get this message straight to you:
Ayurvedic detox WORKS!
I completed Day 6 successfully. Here is what I mean as success:
- I ‘forgot’ that I need a cup of coffee or tea. I simply did not remember it.
- I did not crave for food. Yes, I did feel hungry, and that’s when I ate – but I did NOT look at the clock to eat!!!
- No headaches.
- I reported a pain in my Day 3 report. That pain in the lower back completely vanished. I am only hoping that I may have overcome some of my base chakra (muladhara) desires /afflictions
For those interested in data, I now continue to weigh 149lbs (started at 150-152lbs a week earlier), and body fat has dropped from 16.4% to 15.9% – negligible difference in the weight and body fat.
Psychologically, I feel extremely energetic – physically & mentally.
Clearly our bodies need less food than what we eat. I have made a mental note to reduce my food intake by 50% going forward.
Now am eager to find what I am going to learn in the next three days of the detox program.
Love to hear your thoughts,
Hardest day so far.
The pain in the lower back insists it will stay there. Could not sleep the entire night well.
Excepting this nagging pain in the lower back, I am feeling a lot lighter, lot more energetic. Body definitely needs less food than what I eat – in both, quantity and ‘richness’ dimensions
My guess is that the detox program is helping to bring out the toxins in the body and that is manifesting itself as the pain in the lower back (near coccyx /muladhara chakra).
Am going to watch it for a day more. If it increases, I will get out of the detox program.
Any thoughts from anyone who has gone through an Ayurveda detox program?